Tuesday, May 11, 2010

On the road again

On the road again, this time Nut's and I left home on the 28th April for the US of A.
The plan was for me to go to the HMQS show in Salt Lake City.
Well, I have already been there and it was amazing. But first, we arrived in New York on Wednesday morning and all I can remember of that time is that I managed to get hold of my cousin Val who lives in Toronto, we had a lovely chat and I sent her some pictures from Russell and Anna's wedding.
Also had a wonderful meeting with my friend Anita again, she has just come out with her new book and I bought from her 5 signed copies for 4 of my lucky friends.
Friday I left to spend shabbat with Keren in Chicago and left Nuts in NY.
I arrived at her home at exactly the same time as she, well timed.
As always we had a great time together, did manage to get to Joannes for a bit, bought a couple of new books. Just nice to explore familiar places again. and spend time with my friend just "being" together.
Monday I was off to SLC, the flight coming in was spectacular over the snow tipped mountains, but surprisingly the weather on the ground was very warm, after settling in to the hotel, I walked across the way to get some grocery supplies and it was pleasantly hot.
Tuesday morning bright and (too) early I was eagerly off to the show,I was the very first one there. I thought I would have to stand in the queue to get my package. but it was nice to meet the ladies as they arrived.
All in all the classes were great, I had a wonderful time and met wonderful people.
Nuts arrived on Thursday afternoon, just in time to pick me up from the show with all my shopping bags full, and I didn't even have time to see the quilts, so, we went back the next morning to see the exhibit of which I have posted the pictures on my facebook page.
Can you believe it, I needed a nail repair and it was right across the road from the hotel, what luck.
we had a wonderful weekend with Anna's family, they came flying in at the nth hour before shabbat came in, just enough time to get everything ready. Corinne outdid herself with all the wonderful food that she had so lovingly prepared for us all, what a treat it was.
On Sunday we hit the road and made our way South through Utah towards the town of Moab Close by there we took a drive through the Canyonlands Nature reserve and again these wonderful pictures are on my facebook pages.
We slept over in Moab, a very pretty town and on Monday morning we toured the Arches National park with spectacular rock formation sites to see.
Thereafter we drove along a the Colorado river for most of the way towards Grand junction and the I-70. where we turned off at Glenwood springs, we thought to go through the Rockies and Aspen on our way to Salida, but, fortunately and timously we had to turn back as we saw signs that the Independence Pass was closed. so we backtracked and went around on another road, but that too was a very pretty drive. Unfortunately we had to travel at night and it was getting late, but we made it to our hotel by about 9pm
Today Tuesday we were in a more leisurely mode and with less mileage to drive and made our way towards Colorado Springs along a charming scenic route and the Arkansas River for the first part of the journey, then the clouds started to roll in and it became cold, so, we decided to give the "Royal Gorge" a miss. I am sure if you google it you will see what it is all about, mostly a re-creation of days gone by, western style, and a drive or walk or train ride over the bridge. Had the weather been bright and sunny we would certainly have done it. but I was not warmly enough dressed.
Never mind.
Instead we continued and stopped of at quilt shops, perfect weather for this, two of the places we stopped at were closed down altogether, sign of the times I guess. the others were well worth the stops.
We arrived in Denver in good time this afternoon and have settled into our hotel nice and early. and it being cold and rainy outside serves it's purpose for an early night for us.
We went to a Kosher Deli/restaurant/grocer store for a nice meaty dinner, and hot cuppa soup.
It started to snow as we returned to the hotel, maybe it will snow more tomorrow it is expected to.
Tomorrow is another exciting day for quilt shop hopping and the quilt museum and whatever else the day will bring and this weather is perfect for it, we will stock up with fresh sandwiches from the kosher Deli around the corner, and return for another delicious hot meal tomorrow night.
I am sure I will have some more pictures to post by then, so.
Till then,
Bye for now.
Terry

No comments: